Kalbi jim (Galbi jim) is steamed dish made with kalbi (short rib) and is one of the most popular Korean dishes. Kalbi jim is often prepared for special occasions and I prepared this dish our Thanksgiving dinner guest since our guest does not like turkey dishes.
- 2 lbs beef short ribs cut into 2 inch length
- 1 kiwi grated
- ½ daikon radish
- 1 carrot
- 5 shiitake mushroom
- 10 chestnuts peeled
- 16 ginko nuts
- 10 dried jujube
- 150 ml soy sauce
- 5 tablespoon sugar
- 5 Tablespoon scallion
- 2 Tablespoon garlic
- 2 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ apple grated
- ⅓ onion grated
- rinsed kalbi in cold water about 2 hours and drain
- add kiwi and leave about 1 hour. this make meat more tender.
- cut all vegetables (daikon, carrot, shiitake) into bite size.
- place kalbi in a large pot and add all sauce ingredients [A] and marinade together and leave about 30 minites
- add daikon, carrot, shiitake and chestnuts into the pot, cover pot with a tight-fitting lid
- When it begins to boil, turn to a low simmer.
- cook about 40-45 minutes and add ginko nuts and dried jujube and let them cook down.
Serving Suggestions For Kalbi Jim
Kalbi Jim is a Korean dish that is typically served with rice, but can also be served as an appetizer. It’s a dish that is popular in Korea and has become quite popular in the United States over the past few years. Stewed Korean beef short ribs are tender and savory, and they are cooked in a sweet and savory sauce. The best part? Kalbi Jim can be made in a slow cooker or Instant Pot, so it’s perfect for busy families or anyone who wants an easy meal.
To serve Kalbi Jim, you will need kimchi and pickled radishes. Kimchi is a spicy pickled cabbage dish that is typically served with Kalbi Jim. Pickled radishes are another great addition to this meal – they add sourness and crunch to the dish. For complete satisfaction, serve Kalbi Jim with rice on the side for people to enjoy their own customized meal.
Variations Of Kalbi Jim
Kalbi Jim is a popular Korean dish that is made with short ribs. However, there are other variations of the dish that exist, including recipes that use chuck or ribeye steak. The key to a good Kalbi Jim is in the marinade, which typically includes soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine, garlic, and ginger. A typical marinade will also include rice wine or sake as a drink of choice and vegetables such as mushrooms or onions.
Kalbi Jim can be served with rice and vegetables as part of a meal or it can be enjoyed as a party dish – it can be easily made in large batches. It’s no wonder Kalbi Jim is such a popular dish – it’s delicious and easy to make. So why not give it a try next time you’re craving something Korean?